Monday, January 30, 2012

Applying calculus to Relationships

Recently I was wondering, what is the cause for unhappiness? What can't one be ever happy? The answer to that was simple. Its the value we attach to people ,the things we own and our surroundings. We might lose the things we own, the surroundings may change, but "most of the time" its simple to comfort us with new ones. Now, the people, that's the hard part. Some we care about, some we love, we may pride our acquaintances, but the bottom line is its all about relationships. And these are too complicated.

Marriage is a pinnacle of such relationships, it has reached a level of sanctity that is hard to contaminate. The older the relationship gets, the more it tends to be like a marriage. You know all the things that you love and hate about the other person. You compromise when you can, more than that you need not shy away from talking about most things. The farthest are the acquaintances. After a certain age, I personally feel our screening process will have gotten so tough that its almost impossible any such new acquaintances/ friendships are allowed to blossom.

The basic fact however is, relationships are fragile. I had assumed that the breaking point is inversely proportional the length of relationships. But I was proved wrong in a number of instances. Then I had to rethink, its not just the length, but also the foundation. The lesser materialistic it is the stronger it gets.

So back to where I started, Is happiness in nothingness? Yes it is. But I have come to realize that you need to lose something to get to know its value. I think the same applies to happiness too. The human greed is in us after all. Sometimes I dream what if John Lennon's Imagine song comes to life. How ever I try to process it, I feel it is an impossible model to sustain.

No comments: